Arsenal gun down West Ham

Olivier Giroud

Arsenal came back from a Mohamed Diame goal down to beat West Ham United 3-1 at Upton Park which saw Olivier Giroud net his first Premier League goal.

The game kicked off after a minute of applause in remembrance of the former West Ham star John Bond, who recently passed away.

It was all West Ham in the first opening quarter of the game as they threatened with efforts from Andy Carroll, whilst Winston Reid and JussiJaaskelainen caused plenty of trouble in front of goal.Their efforts paid off when Mohamed Diame put the Hammers in front with a wonderfully angled drive which weaved its way into the goals on 20minutes. His wild celebrations, however, did earn him a yellow card.Soon afterwards there were appeals for Diame to be escorted to the changing room by Arsenal after he went in for a late hefty challenge on Mikel Arteta, seven minutes later, but nothing was given.Reid became the second player booked on the day after he unnecessarily ran into Santi Cazorla to give away a free-kick inside the host’s own half.Olivier Giroud had previously failed to find the back of the net for Arsenal but he made no errors this time when he converted Lucas Podolski’s cross to put the teams level heading into the break.

Injury forced Kieron Gibbs to make way for Andres Santos, ten minutes into the second half, while West Ham was forced into making a change when Vaz Te had to be taken off due to an arm injury. He was replaced by Matthew Taylor in the 63rd minute.

Podolski came agonisingly close when he clipped a shot towards goal, 72 minutes in, which took a sneaky deflection and stung the side netting for a corner.

Arsenal’s second half pressure paid off when Theo Walcott did well to gather the ball in between the last defender to turn his marker and hit his effort into the bottom right corner. Walcott’s wild celebrations, which saw him run to embrace the fans, resulted in him being booked in the 77th minute.

That goal seemed to unsettle the home side as they were caught conceding a third goal. Santi Cazorla picked the ball up from 25-yards out before striking in a curling effort which left the West Ham ‘keeper stunned with eight minutes still to play.