The just ended KCB Asset Finance Rally in Eldoret saw most of the titles sealed at penultimate stage. Carl “Flash” Tundo wrapped the Kenya National Rally Championship title in bravado and so was Kisumu-based Jassy Chathe, who won the Division Two crown.
It was a dream come true for Mombasa-based Nadeem Kana and his co-driver James Mwangi as they sealed the Kenya national 2WD Championship title despite finishing second in Eldoret.
Dennis Mwenda won the 2WD class to give his new Toyota Sprinter GT machine a 100% winning record, on its second outing. But Mwenda had to contend with playing second fiddle to Nadeem who has so far accumulated unassailable 405 points.
What this means is that Mwenda, who stretched his tally to 360, can’t catch up with Nadeem even if he wins the season closing Guru Nanak next month.
Niaz Bashir from Kisumu finished 3rd in 2WD. Mwenda was all smiles as he drove into final service at Salaba Academy in Iten. “We have done it again! We have proved that Nanyuki was no fluke.
The roads were tricky and he ruts all over the place. We took it easy on CS2, setting second fastest time, then set fastest time CS3 despite catching the car ahead and sitting in its dust for 8Km.
We also broke the rear shocks and in the process drove on them for the rest of the stages thus still set the fastest time on CS4. My co-driver Edward (Njoroge) was on point today (Saturday). He didn’t not miss a note,” said Mwenda.
Nadeem said: “It’s a happy moment for us. We had a radiator leak on CS3 and broke two rear top mountings. Dennis is really fast so we might take a break and concentrate on re-building our car for next season,” Nadeem said.
Jeff Mburu finished 4th only on his second 2WD outing while Patrick Kibaara was fifth. “The Championship is gone. The car (Levin) has been good but we will see if we can upgrade to a better machine next season,” said Kibaara.
Gurmit Thethy (VW Golf) retired after tackling the first two loops of the rally after the third gear got stuck 15km into the first stage. “We were forced to rally both stages in third gear and efforts to get it sorted out in service were futile,” said Gurmit.
1. Carl Tundo/Tim Jessop (EVO9) 1.05.59
2. Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch (EVO9) 01.06.44.
3. B. Chager/Raju Sehmi (Subaru N16) 01.08.10.
4. Azar Anwar/Julius Ngige (EVO8- 01.08.41
5. Quentin Mitchell/Geoff Mayes (Subaru N16) 01.09.27
6. Jassy Singh Chatthe/Gugu Panesar (EVO9)- 01.10.00
7. Izhar Mirza/Zahir Shah (EVO9)- 01.10.11
8. Manvir Singh Baryan/Nicola Arena (Subaru) 01.11.03
9.Onkar Rai/Raju Chagger (Subaru N16)- 01.14.43.
10. Don Smith/Bob Kaugi (Subaru N12B) 01.16.25
11. Jazzy Chana/Ravi Chana (Toyota Celica GT4) 01.17.05
12. Ghalib Haji/Sinder Sudle (EVOX)01.17.40
13. Charles Hinga/Absalom Aswani (EVO7) 01.18.24
14. Jasmeet Chana/Rohit Bhudia (Toyota Celica GT4) 01.19.01
15. Tejvir Rai/G. Mwangi (Subaru N16) 01.19.10
16. Alasdair Keith/Tariq Malik (Subaru) 01.19.41
17. Farhaaz Khan/Keith Henrie (Subaru) 01.20.12
18. Anwar Pandya/Ken Masoni (Subaru N10) 01.22.37
19. John Muigai/Allan Muhindi (Subaru) 01.24.01
20. Ben Muchemi/Evans Mwenda (EVO8) 01.25.32
21. AslamKhan/I. Freestone (Porsche 911) 01.26.39
22. Anthony Tibo/Kavit Dave (Subaru) 01.27.38
23. Dennis Mwenda/Edward Njoroge (Toyota Sprinter GT) 01.29.07
24. Niaz Bashir/J. Kosgey (Toyota) 01.29.21
25. Joe Muchiri/ Riyaz Ismail (Subaru gc8) 01.30.45
26. Abdulaziz Athman/Kalifan Athman (Subaru) 01.30.52
27. Khalid Umar/Shakil Umar (Subaru) 01.32.26
28. Rashid Kabi/Nehreen Ismail (Subaru gc8) 01.34.08
29. Nadeem Kana/J. Mwangi (Subaru) 01.38.37
30. Jeff Mburu/Rodney Muriuki (Levin) 01.42.33
31. Hardev S. Sira/Jasneil Ghataure (Ford Escort Mexico) 01.42.47
32. Imran Kana/M. Kana (Toyota Levin) 01.44.09
33. Patrick Kibaara/Julius Mwachuya (Levin) 01.47.06
34. Gurpreet Brar/ Jasmeet Khaira(Subaru) 01.56.48
35. Stella Macharia/Hellen Shiri (Subaru) 02.03.26
36. Victor Okundi/Tuta Mionki (Toyota Vitz) 02.04.27
37. Philis Wambui/Steve Nyorri (Levin) 02.13.31
38. Edward Maina/Tonny Kimondo (Toyota Celica) 02.43.15
Copyright © 2012 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.