Liverpool – Udinese Preview: Reds aim to cement top spot in Group A
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is again without Martin Kelly (knee) and Lucas Leiva (thigh), with both expected to be out for at least another month. Joe Cole (hamstring) could be in line for his comeback after coming through a reserve game earlier this week.
Jose Enrique is a doubt for the match but could make the squad with Kelly also injured, otherwise Rodgers has no other injury or suspension problems.
The visiting side are likely to rest star striker Antonio Di Natale for the match with Matias Ranegie expected to lead the attack. Francesco Guidolin has a more or less full strength side to choose from.
- The Reds have won eight and lost 10 out of their last 23 European games against Italian teams.
- Liverpool have won three of their last four games in all competitions.
- However, Liverpool are unbeaten in six European games, including all five under their new boss Brendan Rodgers.
- Udinese have only one once against an English side, beating Tottenham in the 08-09 Uefa Cup.
- The visit to Anfield will be Udinese’s 50th outing in the Uefa Cup and Europa League.
- Udinese goalkeeper Daniele Padelli played for Liverpool in 2007 on loan from UC Sampdoria, making his only appearance for the club in a 2-2 draw at home against Charlton Athletic FC, with current Liverpool players Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Steven Gerrard among Padelli’s team-mates that day.
- Udinese have drawn four of their last five games in all competitions.