Man Utd 4-2 Blackpool
Adam and Park both scored in a thrilling first half
Blackpool suffered final day heartbreak as they lost a thriller to seal their relegation from the Premier League.
Park Ji-sung put Manchester United ahead early on with a chip over Matt Gilks before Charlie Adam’s free-kick in off the post restored parity.
Gary Taylor-Fletcher side-footed Blackpool 2-1 ahead before Anderson curled in a beautiful equaliser.
Ian Evatt then put through his own net from Chris Smalling’s cross and Michael Owen’s fourth sealed Blackpool’s fate.
With so much riding on the game, it was vital that Blackpool imposed themselves on proceedings as early as possible, and they were handed a chance within the first minute.
DJ Campbell dispossessed Paul Scholes and set up Adam to fire in a cross from the left, but Keith Southern skewed his shot well wide of the goal.
Adam then set up a similar chance for Taylor-Fletcher but the Blackpool player failed to connect with the cross.
But the visitors’ failure to make the most of their early chances was hammered home on 21 minutes when Dimitar Berbatov flicked the ball past Alex Baptiste into the path of Park, and a moment’s hesitation by defender Evatt let in the Korean to lob the ball over Seasiders keeper Gilks.
Park and Berbatov were two of the liveliest players on the pitch, and it was no surprise when they involved in the game’s next moment of high drama.
A defensive mix-up allowed Berbatov a great scoring opportunity from close range, but the Bulgarian took too long over the chance, allowing Gilks to block the effort with his legs.
The ball failed to clear the area and fell to Park, who was brought down by Adam, and the well-positioned referee Mike Dean waved away United’s strong penalty claims.
At the time this looked like it could prove a significant moment in the game, and this became true when five minutes before the break, Blackpool levelled.
Nemanja Vidic brought down Taylor-Fletcher just outside the box, in a position Adam would probably have chosen as his ideal free-kick taking location.
And the former Rangers player took full advantage as he curled a low shot into the net, off the foot of Edwin van der Sar’s left-hand post, becoming the first visiting player to score a first-half goal in a league game at Old Trafford for over a year and, more importantly, breathing life into his team’s survival chances.
The start of the second half was almost a repeat of the first, with Blackpool having another great chance.
Vidic brought down Campbell in a similar position to the first-half free-kick, and Adam produced a thunderous shot towards the top corner, only for van der Sar to produce a nonchalant one-handed save.
The complicated maths of the relegation situation meant that the best Blackpool could do was go for the win and hope it was enough – and on 57 minutes, they went ahead.
Jason Puncheon played the ball to Vaughan, and his cross from the right was side-footed home by former roofer Taylor-Fletcher.
The prospect of losing their season-long unbeaten home record on the final day of the season seemed to rouse United, however, and it was not long before they were level.
Park and Anderson played a one-two on the edge of the box with Anderson producing a perfectly judged first-time left-foot curler into the bottom corner.
United then began to show their ruthless side, with Blackpool resorting to increasingly desperate defensive measures, so it was cruel on the Seasiders when they went behind in the most unfortunate of circumstances.
Owen was in a threatening position as Chris Smalling fired in his cross from the right, so Evatt did his best to block the ball but only managed to put it into his own net.
Blackpool’s plight grew worse as results around the country started to turn against them, and then United turned the screw as Anderson split the defence with a pass which found Owen, who applied a clinical finish.
Despite their best efforts, there was no way back for the Seasiders from this blow, and a hugely memorable season ended in defeat and relegation – but with their heads held high.
Sunday, 22 May 2011
Barclays Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- Man Utd 49%
- Blackpool 51%
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:15 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+3:04 Inswinging corner taken by Brett Ormerod. Short corner taken by Brett Ormerod from the left by-line. Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Luke Varney goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 90:00+2:40 Charlie Adam takes a shot. Save by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 90:00+1:07 Effort on goal by Dimitar Berbatov from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 90:00+0:20 Effort from inside the area by Michael Owen misses to the left of the target.
- 89:36 Matt Phillips takes a shot. Blocked by Patrice Evra. Matt Phillips takes a shot from just outside the penalty area which clears the crossbar.
- 87:48 The ball is swung over by Matt Phillips, Shot by Brett Ormerod from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 85:38 Substitution Brett Ormerod on for Keith Southern.
- 85:38 Shot from deep inside the area by Dimitar Berbatov clears the crossbar.
- 84:19 Unfair challenge on Keith Southern by Darren Fletcher results in a free kick. Charlie Adam takes the free kick. Matt Phillips takes a shot. Blocked by Jonathan Evans.
- 83:14 Substitution Nemanja Vidic leaves the field to be replaced by Wayne Rooney.
- 83:02 Centre by Neal Eardley.
- 80:32 The assist for the goal came from Oliveira Anderson.
- 80:32 GOAL – Michael Owen:Man Utd 4 – 2 Blackpool Michael Owen gets on the score sheet with a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man Utd 4-2 Blackpool.
- 78:01 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Charlie Adam, Ian Evatt challenges Edwin Van der Sar unfairly and gives away a free kick. Edwin Van der Sar takes the free kick.
- 74:54 Direct free kick taken by Chris Smalling.
- 74:54 Booking The referee books David Vaughan for unsporting behaviour.
- 74:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Smalling by David Vaughan.
- 74:39 Substitution Jason Puncheon goes off and Matt Phillips comes on.
- 74:39 Substitution Luke Varney joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gary Taylor-Fletcher.
- 73:49 Assist on the goal came from Chris Smalling.
- 73:49 GOAL – Ian Evatt:Man Utd 3 – 2 Blackpool Ian Evatt puts the ball into his own goal. Man Utd 3-2 Blackpool.
- 72:35 The ball is sent over by Chris Smalling, Luis Nani has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the target.
- 70:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by David Vaughan on Luis Nani. The ball is sent over by Luis Nani, Paul Scholes takes a shot. Blocked by Keith Southern. Nemanja Vidic takes a shot. Clearance made by Alex Baptiste.
- 68:09 Free kick taken by Matthew Gilks.
- 68:09 Booking Michael Owen receives a yellow card.
- 68:04 Charlie Adam fouled by Michael Owen, the ref awards a free kick.
- 65:57 Luis Nani crosses the ball, Neal Eardley gets a block in. Corner taken short by Luis Nani.
- 64:41 Charlie Adam produces a left-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 63:28 Patrice Evra delivers the ball, Matthew Gilks makes a save. Dimitar Berbatov takes a shot. Save by Matthew Gilks. Paul Scholes takes a shot. Blocked by Ian Evatt.
- 62:58 Substitution Michael Owen replaces Ji-Sung Park.
- 61:59 Ji-Sung Park provided the assist for the goal.
- 61:59 GOAL – Oliveira Anderson:Man Utd 2 – 2 Blackpool Oliveira Anderson gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Man Utd 2-2 Blackpool.
- 61:26 Chris Smalling sends in a cross, clearance by Neal Eardley.
- 58:04 The ball is crossed by Ji-Sung Park.
- 56:11 David Vaughan produces a cross,
- 56:08 The assist for the goal came from David Vaughan.
- 56:08 GOAL – Gary Taylor-Fletcher:Man Utd 1 – 2 Blackpool Gary Taylor-Fletcher finds the net with a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Man Utd 1-2 Blackpool.
- 53:58 Corner taken right-footed by Luis Nani, Close range headed effort by Dimitar Berbatov clears the crossbar.
- 49:55 Centre by Neal Eardley, Chris Smalling makes a clearance.
- 49:01 Corner taken by Charlie Adam from the right by-line played to the near post.
- 48:13 Inswinging corner taken by Charlie Adam from the right by-line played to the near post, Nemanja Vidic makes a clearance. Charlie Adam takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Nemanja Vidic makes a clearance.
- 47:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nemanja Vidic on Dudley Campbell. Charlie Adam produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, save by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 45:27 Dimitar Berbatov is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Matthew Gilks.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Chris Smalling joins the action as a substitute, replacing Rafael Da Silva.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:04 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+0:58 The referee blows for offside against Stephen Crainey. Edwin Van der Sar takes the free kick.
- 39:49 GOAL – Charlie Adam:Man Utd 1 – 1 Blackpool Charlie Adam finds the net with a goal direct from the free kick from just outside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man Utd 1-1 Blackpool.
- 39:11 Unfair challenge on Gary Taylor-Fletcher by Nemanja Vidic results in a free kick.
- 37:16 Rafael Da Silva fouled by Gary Taylor-Fletcher, the ref awards a free kick. Jonathan Evans restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:25 The referee blows for offside. Matthew Gilks restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:44 Corner taken right-footed by Luis Nani to the near post, Shot from just outside the penalty area by Oliveira Anderson misses to the left of the target.
- 33:54 Neal Eardley takes the direct free kick.
- 33:54 Booking Darren Fletcher receives a yellow card.
- 33:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Keith Southern by Darren Fletcher.
- 31:29 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Oliveira Anderson from the right by-line, Dimitar Berbatov has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide left of the goal.
- 30:31 Dimitar Berbatov takes a shot. Save by Matthew Gilks.
- 29:15 Shot from long range by Charlie Adam goes over the bar.
- 27:52 Foul by Paul Scholes on David Vaughan, free kick awarded. Matthew Gilks restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction – 26:30 Luis Nani takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post. Luis Nani takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Charlie Adam makes a clearance.
- 26:30 Luis Nani takes the inswinging corner, Corner taken by Luis Nani played to the near post. Charlie Adam manages to make a clearance.
- 26:24 Centre by Luis Nani, Neal Eardley manages to make a clearance.
- 26:13 Ji-Sung Park sends in a cross, clearance made by Stephen Crainey.
- Correction – 24:11 Luis Nani concedes a free kick for a foul on David Vaughan. Direct free kick taken by Charlie Adam.
- 24:11 David Vaughan fouled by Luis Nani, the ref awards a free kick. Charlie Adam produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 22:39 Corner taken left-footed by Charlie Adam to the near post, clearance made by Jonathan Evans.
- 21:54 Dudley Campbell takes a shot. Paul Scholes gets a block in.
- 20:15 Assist by Dimitar Berbatov.
- 20:15 GOAL – Ji-Sung Park:Man Utd 1 – 0 Blackpool Ji-Sung Park finds the net with a goal from close in to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man Utd 1-0 Blackpool.
- 18:45 Unfair challenge on Dimitar Berbatov by Ian Evatt results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Edwin Van der Sar.
- 17:57 Luis Nani concedes a free kick for a foul on David Vaughan. Direct free kick taken by Charlie Adam.
- 17:24 Centre by Luis Nani, Gary Taylor-Fletcher manages to make a clearance.
- 16:49 Luis Nani takes a short corner.
- 11:17 The ball is delivered by Patrice Evra, save made by Matthew Gilks.
- 8:35 Ji-Sung Park takes a shot. Blocked by Charlie Adam.
- 7:47 Oliveira Anderson decides to take the corner short.
- 7:31 Dimitar Berbatov takes a shot. Matthew Gilks makes a save.
- 6:41 Centre by Patrice Evra, clearance made by Alex Baptiste.
- 5:01 Centre by Stephen Crainey, blocked by Jonathan Evans. Outswinging corner taken by Charlie Adam from the left by-line, Nemanja Vidic manages to make a clearance.
- 3:49 Rafael Da Silva takes a shot. Matthew Gilks makes a comfortable save.
- 0:31 Charlie Adam crosses the ball, Effort from deep inside the area by Keith Southern misses to the left of the goal.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
See the rest here:
Man Utd 4-2 Blackpool